Small changes make big differences.

Tuesdays with MOJO / Power is in Preparedness

Marjorie Spitz RentoComment

During my Well-Being Reset program, we cover the “Three Pillars of MOJO Makers™.”  The third is centered on self-sabotage.  I title it“Getting Out of Your Own Way” and one of the MOJO Makers™ we dig into (#10) is about “practicing preparedness.”  It’s super beneficial to plan for the unpredictable.   

There will be times when you get hungry/ thirsty / tired / encounter your client/boss/family member at challenging moments / come back to a computer with an overflowing inbox, etc.  All of those scenarios can lead to high levels of stress and send your wellness program way off track, so we discuss strategies for how to plan for that.  Things like keeping healthy snacks handy to avoid running to the vending machine, or organizing technology and wardrobe the night before a big meeting.  Everyone needs a good fallback plan, right?

There is both comfort and power in planning. 

This morning, I’m going to get a bit more serious than usual and talk about a different kind of preparedness planning:  the kind needed in case of emergency.

Today we woke up to another sad headline, this time about terrorist bombings in the Brussels airport and subway system.   Most mornings I put my feet on the floor ready to embrace a world full of beauty and light, but this morning the world felt so dark.   So I decided to scrap what I was going to write about (ironically, counting our blessings) and get a little bossy.

People, you must make a disaster preparedness plan. 

This NPR quote in particular (true or not), struck me: "It took about 10 minutes for security personnel to arrive. There were mothers with children and old people who didn't know what to do…People felt like the authorities were badly prepared, and when they were led out of the airport they were led right through the place where the explosions happened.“

As highly trained and courageous the authorities are, and as much as we rely on them, we also must take responsibility for what WE can directly control. 

Take this statistic:  “Research has determined that only 3% of all adult citizens in the United States take the time and effort to plan for the future. Yet, those 3% accomplish five to ten times more in their lifetimes than do the other 97%.  It is a shame, but most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do planning their lives.” 

The same is true for what to do if the unspeakable happens.  I live in NYC and was here during 9/11.  We didn’t know where to go, what to do and phone service was down. 

Almost 15 years later, we need to be smarter.

By no means am I suggesting we live in fear or cower.  Quite the opposite actually!  Let’s take back the power a select few are set on stealing from us.  Let’s not let fear grip us, but instead be inspired by acts of bravery and heroism, and honor those in pain or stricken.

For them, I implore you to be present, be powerful, be strong and make a plan!

Are you Batman Prepared, Boy Scout Prepared, or totally unprepared? 

Ask yourself these questions:

  • Do I know my loved ones phone numbers and email addresses by heart? (If not, write them on a card to keep with you at all times).
  • Where will we go if emergency strikes (Home? A local community center?  Friend’s home?)
  • What tools do I have at my disposal if need be?  (Water, battery operated radio, comfortable shoes, and first aid kit?)
  • How will I alert loved ones that I’m all right?

Check out these links for great tips and strategies for emergency planning:

https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/plan

http://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/plan/

This week I started the Chopra Center free 21-day meditation series.  I highly recommend it (you have until Friday to sign up).  Each day they choose a topic under the theme of “Shedding the Weight: Mind Body and Spirit” and today’s focus is “Transforming Heavy to Light.”  The centering thought:  “I am endlessly renewed in the present moment.”  How appropriate!

Let’s send Brussels strength and support by being alert and diligent.  Be aware of what’s going on around you.  Report suspicious activity.  Be strong and be present.

Now go make your emergency plan (I told you I was going to be bossy)!

With Love to Brussels, 

Marjorie, Chief MOJO Maker™